January 14, 2017
Minimalism seems to be a word that is used mostly in relation to visual arts and aesthetics, but is also frequently (and increasingly?) being used in relation to simple living, a.k.a. trimming down your life, simplifying things and removing clutter. A quick Google search for minimalism will result in pages and pages of various blogs and news sites talking about minimalism in some way or other, be it about the aesthetic (minimalist style/art) or the lifestyle.
At Comfort Works, we’re a little more focused on the visual aspect of things, being in the slipcover business and all. That being said –
What is minimalism in terms of interior design and home decor?
1. White, white and also white.
2. Decorations with clean lines
3. Wabi Sabi
4. Black and grey industrial
So what exactly is the Minimalist style? It’s probably about maximising beauty and space with the fewest things possible – or at least that’s my take on it. Don’t forget to leave your thoughts in the comments below!
Interesting articles about minimalism for further reading:
- A Guide to Creating a Minimalist Home – Zen Habits
- The Oppressive Gospel of ‘Minimalism’ – The New York Times
- Minimalism – Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
- Konmari – Marie Kondo’s organizing philosophy