• share
  • pin
  • email
Got A Problematic Pet? Here's Where To Get Help

Having a pet is always a wonderful thing, until it’s not.

Pet behavioural problems are common and they can range from something as simple as not being potty trained to something more dangerous such as attacking people.

Owning a problematic pet can be difficult, but not impossible with some help. 

Whatever pet behavioural problems you have, one thing’s for sure: don’t give up on your pet. Being a dog or cat owner is your responsibility from the day you decided to adopt them, hence you should aim to solve the problem, not avoid it. Besides, once you are able to correct their behaviour with some professional help, the reward is a happier, calmer pet that you’ll be able to have fun with. 

Not sure where to begin seeking help? Here are a few resources for you, depending on where in the world you are.

American College of Veterinary Behaviorists (ACVB)

The ACVB is a certifying board for vets who are specially-trained to advance the behavioural health of animals through research, science-based behaviour education, and the practice of clinical behavioural medicine. 

If you live in the U.S, think of it as a one-stop centre for you to get the right resource for any pet behavioural problems you have, whether you own a cat, dog, or even a horse.

Head on to the ACVB website to find a Board Certified Behaviorist in your area, who will then consult with your vet on how to best solve your pet behavioural problems. 

You can contact them here

American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour (AVSAB)

This society comprises a group of vets and doctorate-level animal behaviourists dedicated to improving the lives of animals and people through the understanding of animal behaviour.

You can apply to be a member and get access to professional forums on research related to animal behaviour.

Consequently, through this society, you can also get in touch with a professional animal behaviourist consultant near you. 

You can contact them here

Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour (ASAB)

Live in the UK? Consider turning to the ASAB for help.

The body authorises Certified Clinical Animal Behaviourists (CCAB) who possess the appropriate skills, knowledge and abilities in the areas of animal behaviour.

This includes having an Honours or higher degree in a relevant subject, attendance at appropriate specialist courses, and at least three years of regular clinical experience. 

Getting in touch with someone who is an authorised CCAB will be able to help you out with your problematic pet, including training both you and your pet to better solve the problem. 

You can contact them here.

Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors (APBC)

The APBC is also another association in the UK that represents animal behaviourists.

Its members have a relevant degree and at least two years’ experience or a post-graduate qualification and a year’s clinical experience. 

These experts will work with you to identify the root cause of your pet’s behavioural issues and come up with treatment plans that are suitable for both you and your pet, as well as the circumstances you are in, including the kind of place you’re living in as well as concerns. 

You can contact them here or give them a call at +44 (0) 7483 429997.  

Dorothy Litwin

If you live in Canada, animal behaviourist Dorothy Litwin, who has a BA Honours in Psychology from York University is an authority you can turn to.

Her services include offering solutions for canine and feline behavioural problems including aggression, house soiling, separation anxiety, and fear.

What she does is go through your pet’s behavioural history, assess it, suggest initial treatments, and then work with you to choose a suitable plan that works for both you and your pet. Once treatment is in progress, she’ll follow up to see how the treatment works out. 

You can contact her here

Rory O’Neill

Rory O’Neill is an animal behaviourist based in Calgary, Alberta.

Even if you’re in another part of Canada, O’Neill does phone consultations too. She specialises in both dog and cat behavioural issues, and is one of the few Canadian dog behaviourists who specialises in rehabilitating aggressive dogs. 

You can contact her here

Animal Behaviour Australia

For those living in the land down under, Animal Behaviour Australia is a one-stop centre for tackling concerns about your pet’s behavior.

These professionals will help you understand your pet and work with the both of you to keep them from recurring. And no matter where you live in Australia, you can make a one-on-one appointment with a pet psychologist in your home at any convenient time via video call.

This way, the psychologist will be able to assess your pet and challenges you’re both facing, then design a plan to resolve it. 

You can contact them here, or give them a call at +610455 264 625.

Pets Behaving Badly

Together with Dr. Kate Mornement, you can tackle your problematic pet slowly but surely.

Dr. Mornement is an Applied Animal Behaviourist and Consultant with a PhD in animal behaviour who specialises in helping not only pet owners, but also those who work professionally with animals, so you can rest assured that you’re in good hands.

You can contact her here or give her a call at +610438 569 610.

Thinking of making your home more pet-friendly? Start with getting a custom-made, removable and machine-washable slipcover for the centerpiece of your home: Your sofa. Have fabric samples sent to your doorstep here: